Here we speak English

Dyskusje najwyższej próby niepasujące do pozostałych działów.
donald

Here we speak English

Postautor: donald » 13.11.2016 00:53:27

Hi. Let us start this topic intended for exercises our English language skills. I hope atmosphere will be good and we will not see any malicious remarks.

For the first subject I would propose the problem of waste of food. In high developed countries over 40% produced food is wasted. I have just seen a documentary movie about it. It was a reportage from an interesting challenge. During 6 months one family was supposed to eat only these products which were thrown away by someone. The results were surprising. Viewers could see huge garbage containers filled with food in pretty good state (3 weeks before end of “best before date”). There were also huge quantities of chocolate which was thrown away only because lack of information about contents in French. (The action of the movie happens in Canada.)

I would like to ask you if you waste food. What do you do to steer clear of it? What is your opinion about the scale of wasting of food in Poland or generally in Europe?

Awatar użytkownika
Snape
gejlord
gejlord

Re: Here we speak English

Postautor: Snape » 13.11.2016 11:23:07

never waste food. Im too poor to do it

Awatar użytkownika
Incertus
gejowy
gejowy

Postautor: Incertus » 13.11.2016 15:45:04

That's what i thought. You picked the topic that people doesn't care about :P
Il corpo faccia quello che vuole. Io non sono il corpo. Io sono la mente.

donald

Postautor: donald » 13.11.2016 17:56:00

I think we all should care about it. People dying from starvation are very often used as an argument in many disputes. Do we have moral right for such arguments when our society is wasting 40% of produced food?

Awatar użytkownika
Snape
gejlord
gejlord

Postautor: Snape » 13.11.2016 23:49:39

no, we dont. Give this 40 % to me

donald

Postautor: donald » 14.11.2016 00:09:43

I mean ‘we’ as general ‘society’ without involving me or you or anyone in this forum. Do you know, that a lot of quite good fruits is wasted just because they do not look like enough attractive for hypermarkets? Consumers like to see nice, smooth, colourful products and resellers knows it. Of course, some of these fruits can be used for juice production but still many of them is wasted.

I have just found this film on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1W2FPeRFI

Awatar użytkownika
żmij
puer aeternus
puer aeternus
Kontakt:

Postautor: żmij » 14.11.2016 15:58:01

In some cities are places, where people can bring or take food. In Toruń we have Foodsharing too: https://www.facebook.com/jadlodzielnia.torun/?fref=ts
I remember, that Beata Szydło announced a law about it. According to this low, shops would have to give this food, which they didn't sell. In the previous cadence Wanda Nowicka presented such project, but parliament ended cadence when the law was proceeding. I don't know anything about project of the present government. I didn't hear that something moved in this direction.

mam nadzieję, że nie pokaleczyłem za bardzo języka :P

donald

Postautor: donald » 14.11.2016 22:53:40

Nice idea. :)

I would like invite all of you to sharing your own suggestions about topics in this thread.
Do you have any interesting news? Please, share it here! :)

Awatar użytkownika
Incertus
gejowy
gejowy

Postautor: Incertus » 15.11.2016 10:32:43

donald pisze:I mean ‘we’ as general ‘society’ without involving me or you or anyone in this forum. Do you know, that a lot of quite good fruits is wasted just because they do not look like enough attractive for hypermarkets? Consumers like to see nice, smooth, colourful products and resellers knows it. Of course, some of these fruits can be used for juice production but still many of them is wasted.

I have just found this film on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1W2FPeRFI

Most of people make their shopping in hypermarkets. I think this issue is unenforceable just because people like to see nice, smooth, colourful products. It's not just only about fruits. Resellers design packages wchich are nice, colourful and are attract to customers, so food is wasted and will be wasted. Information campaines will not help in this case. I know, I'm pessimist, but ressellers know human nature and psychology.

donald

Postautor: donald » 15.11.2016 15:24:58

Obviously consumers satisfaction works against optimal usage of resources i.e. against natural environment and against combating hunger. Let's look at this matter from ethical point of view. Consumer satisfaction cannot be over nature or human rights. Enforcing changes on economy is challenging but morally clear.

I think this is much clear situation than for example such clash of the values as personal hygiene vs protecting environment. The more hygienic we are, the more we pollute environment (with detergents, disposable one-time medical products etc.).

Awatar użytkownika
Incertus
gejowy
gejowy

Postautor: Incertus » 15.11.2016 16:03:30

I wonder how this percents of wasted food look like in, for instance, restaurants. I mean not official statistics but unofficial. Maby some users have worked in this kind of places and can tell us about it :)

Awatar użytkownika
93kolo93
gejątko
gejątko

Postautor: 93kolo93 » 07.03.2017 12:44:15

donald pisze:I think we all should care about it. People dying from starvation are very often used as an argument in many disputes. Do we have moral right for such arguments when our society is wasting 40% of produced food?

Hi Donald,

Yes you right that many ppl are dying of starve.
Now its coming one question. How we can avoid it? Its very easy to say that we could share food with ppl. But its gonna work only in local areas. What about others? I mean ppl from Africa or north America? There is plenty of long term products with way might to send away but there is such a huge shipping cost. Something can say that there is many organization where we can give some money for them for support and its only way how we can help them.
Honestly what is a point to explain to ppl that 40% of produced food its waste?
I know its a huge problem but what will change if ppl will know that how many of food products its wasted?
Of course if 'we' wanna help to starve ppl.
Twoja przeszlosc jest Twoja przyszloscia!

Awatar użytkownika
uzytkownik_konta
gejlord
gejlord

Postautor: uzytkownik_konta » 07.03.2017 13:12:03

Well, I believe sending food to remote areas is not the best way of dealing with hunger problem, but - thankfully - it's not the only way. The point of preparing & publishing such statistical data is, among others, to focus attention on this issue and persuade people to, e.g., donate more to NGOs. It is crucial that this money shouldn't be spent only on food (humanitarian aid), but on research & on creating conditions for self-sufficient provision of eatables in areas affected with starvation problems (e.g. on development, restructuring and modernisation of agriculture, providing water supplies, rational shaping of governemnt spending - incl. redistribution, transformation of national economies, international cooperation, preserving natural conditions necessary for the existence of an efficient agriculture, etc.).

donald

Postautor: donald » 07.03.2017 15:07:53

I would like to explain that I was talking about arguments about the local situation. Some people says that there are children in Poland who are permanently hungry because of poverty. Such "arguments" (post-true?) are used in many discussions.

Obviously Africa is another case very different from our situation because there are areas where food production is not sufficient. This problem can be taken into account and used as an argument when we talk about e.g. global warming which can be one of the reasons.

Awatar użytkownika
uzytkownik_konta
gejlord
gejlord

Postautor: uzytkownik_konta » 07.03.2017 16:14:19

There definitely are hungry children, and there's probably a lot of them; Poland, as all other states, is not a heaven on earth. It's sad that certain political parties adapted their suffering as a propaganda weapon & distorted it's real meaning, but without real intention of erasing this problem. Due to their actions, talking about poverty-realted issues became a political act and the issue itself started to be perceived as an exaggerated one. This is not right. It has to be solved, but not by taking revenge on everything and everyone and not by deceptive getting off the knees declarations, not by propaganda actions, but by cooperation and reason. Those people need effective social support, stable jobs & job security, effective protection of their labor rights, help in obtaining qualifications, somtimes supervision and/or counseling. I guess those things are by far more important than simply giving the money out, if you know what I'm talking about.

Awatar użytkownika
kotek91
gejowy
gejowy
Kontakt:

Postautor: kotek91 » 07.06.2017 10:50:51

Is anyone here who could propose one another subject to discussion???

Awatar użytkownika
Incertus
gejowy
gejowy

Postautor: Incertus » 07.06.2017 12:20:25

Maybe you?

Awatar użytkownika
mare
NAAWSW
NAAWSW

Postautor: mare » 07.06.2017 14:07:12

kotek91 pisze:Is anyone here who could propose one another subject to discussion???

How about: why Google translator does such a shitty job?

Awatar użytkownika
kotek91
gejowy
gejowy
Kontakt:

Postautor: kotek91 » 07.06.2017 14:31:35

I didn't use Google's translator mare. Why do you think that??? My sentence was built correctly. You didn't understand ,did you???Honey???

Awatar użytkownika
Horticulturist
wyjadacz
wyjadacz

Postautor: Horticulturist » 07.06.2017 17:38:56

Dear, actually you don't seem to understand that "one another" means something entirely different than its word-for-word translation.
Also, english native speaker would say "Is here anyone" and "to discuss"/"for discussion", you've just muddled these prepositions.
Ostatnio zmieniony 07.06.2017 17:54:37 przez Horticulturist, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.
They say there's not much difference between a good man and a long drag from a cigarette,
Sometimes you feel it, sometimes you don't,
Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't,
But no one likes a ghost.

Wróć do „1.5. Pozostałe”